home exension plans

extension design architect

fixed price home extension plans

extension design home

single storey extension

double storey extension

conservatory design

garage design

garage conversion

loft conversion page

home extension plans

extension architect

design extension




How far can you build an extension?

Permitted development News

Proposed changes to the Permitted Development rules for domestic extensions.

"I'm building an 8 metre long kitchen extension along the boundary, hope you don't mind".

image over man building over or near a drain

Existing rules
At the moment homeowners have to apply for Planning Permission should their rear extension or conservatory protrude further out than 3 metres for a terraced / semi detached property and 4 metres for a detached property and strict height restrictions on the height of roofs are also applied.

Cost savings
The current Planning Application fee is £150 and Eric Pickles has indicated the Professional costs for an application are around the £2000 mark. We very rarely encounter fees of such an amount and this type of fee would be for a "Grand Designs" type extension in central London.

image of Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Larger Home Extension

Image showing proposed changes to how far your can build an extension or conservatory without needing Planning Permission.

Proposed Permitted Development rules
Under the new permitted development rules the current permitted development sizes would be doubled without any consultation with the neighbours or the Local Authority. The Government have insisted that certain safeguards remain in place such as no more than 50% of the garden can be built on and that neighbours will still have a "Right to Light".

From the 30 May 2013 this has now become law for the next 6 years and work will have to be completed in that 6 year period to qualify. It will mean that if you would like to take advantage of the free planning application and the relaxed rules, then now is the time to do so.

Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Larger Home Extension
The application is called a "Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Larger Home Extension" and is a separate form to the standard householder planning application form.













Terms and Conditions



Copyright 2020